"I have tested lots of tools. Carter and Son's are the finest I have come across, in both degree of workmanship and quality of steel." - Mike Mahoney
A quick overview of this wood beater:
- 5/8" bowl gouge, equipped with the grind found at Mike's lathe.
- Easily sharpen using a Wolverine jig.
- Machined from M42 high speed steel. Superior edge-holding ability.
- Hand-polished and inspected.
- Aluminum handle cuts down chatter and is designed for comfort and easy control.
- Made in the USA. Backed by a 100% guarantee.
We are very excited to partner with Mike Mahoney and serve you with the tools found at his lathe. Mike is an professional woodturner specializing in bowl turning. He has developed these unique grinds through years of experience. They are shipped sharp and are easily ground on a Wolverine jig.
A razor edge is imperative for turning wood. Many woodturning tools are machined from subpar steel. After 40 years of manufacturing experience, we know M42 high speed steel is the optimal steel for turning wood. It hones to a fine, sharp edge and retains that edge due to a 10% content of cobalt.
Your handle connects you to your work, we’ve carefully designed the weight and curvature of our signature handles for comfort, control, and chatter reduction. Each handle has set screws to secure your tool and knurling for grip. Our innovative handles are made in our own factory and are patented.
All the design work, machining, inspection and shipping of this tool is done in our Seattle factory. As a family business dedicated to engineering ingenuity, precision workmanship and woodturning we ensure that every tool you receive is perfect. Happy turning!
- Blade measures: 3/4" diameter x 13" overall.
Diameter 3/4". Handle Size: 16" x 3/4